I confess: I love breakfast food for dinner… And lunchtime sometimes too! Though I miss the goodness of the egg yolks, it is my pleasure to share the newly-found live for fresh herbs. The below is one of my go-tos as it takes almost no time to make and you have the crunch of the toast, and juiciness of the turkey bacon, and the explosion of just-picked, and super fresh parsley, and basil.
Calories: 250 (add +120 to add some olive oil or garlic-infused oil to the toast; or +80 for a slice of cheese!)
Time: 20 minutes
- 2 slices of turkey bacon
- 2 egg whites
- Cream of Tartar (for extra-fluffy egg whites!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Chopped cherry tomatoes (around 5)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives (if you were missing onions… this is a big solve!)
- 2 slices of Udi’s – White Sandwich Bread Loaf (one of the best things you can have in your pantry; GF and low FODMAP. Click here to see my Udi’s review)
- Additionals: infused oils for dipping (garlic, basil, you choose); Swiss, feta or any other cheese.
Thoroughly cook the 2 slices of turkey bacon in a pan until desired level of crispness. Put away the bacon to cut and crumble while you saute the tomatoes, the parsley, chives and basil… right on the same pan. As they are cooking, separate the egg whites and in a small bowl, add the salt, pepper and a 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar. Beat well with a fork. When the tomatoes start to soften (around 5 minutes in low to medium heat), lower the heat to low and add the beaten egg whites. Keep a close eye on the egg whites: you want to make sure there’s not too much browning going on… After they are thoroughly cooked, grab and carefully place on top of each piece of toast. You can sprinkle some olive oil here, or Parmesan cheese, too!
Question for you…what do you miss the most about the LOW FODMAP diet?